Dangerous Statements for Librarians to Make
I got this from the ALA email list…
Doug Johnson writes: “An online workshop I took April 19 made me think a little about how librarians can be their own worst enemies. I am not convinced that the profession as a whole is in a crisis, but I suspect a lot of librarians may be. I shudder when I hear certain phrases uttered. Here are 21 dangerous statements, off the top of my head.”…
Blue Skunk Blog, Apr. 21
1. But the school HAS to have a librarian/library.
2. The research proves that libraries improve student achievement. (Subtext: So I don’t have to.)
3. Kids can’t come into the library at _________ time…
– because I have work to do
– because I might need to step out and they would be unsupervised
– because it is MY library and what I say, goes.
– because I need 4 weeks in the fall and spring to get it ready/shut it down
– (Subtext: Because they annoy me.)